The Career Services at UW-Madison website is a great way to begin exploring your career options. The following resources are also useful for those interested in a career in clean energy.
The Wisconsin Energy Institute (WEI) collaborates with campus partners such as the Career Exploration Center and College of Engineering Advising to host workshops for students exploring career options in energy. Below are links to presentation slides and videos from recent workshops:
- Pathways to Careers in Energy Sustainability (March 31, 2016) - Presentation Video
- Career Exploration Center (February 17, 2016) - Presentation Slides (PDF)
- Career Exploration Center (October 22, 2015) - Presentation Video
- Careers in Clean Energy Policy and Economics - Dayaway Interactive (November 4, 2014) - Panelist Video Responses
Engineering Professional Development—Energy
Making the most efficient use of our resources and finding new ones: that’s the challenge facing today’s energy innovators. Given this challenge, learn how you can maximize the output of your organization or community’s energy systems and keep up with the industry’s fast-changing codes and ethical standards with an energy course from UW–Madison.
Visit the Engineering Professional Development webpage for more information.
External Career Resources
- Clean Energy Jobs and Career Planning from the U.S. Department of Energy allows visitors to search for jobs, internships, and training resources as well as explore career pathways in clean energy.
- Vault provides a number of detailed industry/career guides, including Energy; Alternative Energy; Nuclear Power; and Oil and Gas. The full guides are available for free to UW-Madison students using your wisc.edu email address.
- My Energy Gateway contains a substantial listing of career options in energy as well as internships, educational programs, and other industry resources.
- Get into Energy provides information on different types of engineers and how their skills match with careers in the energy industry.
- LearnHowtoBecome.org has created A Guide to Green Careers to "help readers better understand exactly what lies ahead for job seekers in a renewable, sustainable and more efficient world."
- O*Net Online lists example occupations and descriptions for several sectors within the "Green Economy," allowing you to review tasks, skills, knowledge, and credentials required for various occupations.
- CareerOneStop's Competency Model Clearinghouse demonstrates the various competencies needed in occupations for Renewable Energy; Energy Generation, Transmission, and Distribution; and Advanced Commercial Buildings.
- Clean Energy Jobs Midwest provides an interactive, in-depth look at clean energy employment in 12 Midwestern states, including Wisconsin. A 2016 survey found that the region currently employs over half a million workers in sectors including renewable energy generation, clean transmission, energy efficiency, clean fuels, and advanced transportation.
- Handshake is UW-Madison’s primary recruitment and career event management tool. Login with your NetID, and you can search job postings by keyword (e.g. "energy") or filter by employer type (e.g. "Utilities and Renewable Energy," "Oil and Gas," "Research," etc.)
- Energy Jobs is an email-only jobs listing service sponsored by the UW-Madison Energy Analysis and Policy program.
- The Nelson Institute Jobs Board: Listings for environmental jobs (targeting students and alumni from the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies)
- Dayaway Careers: Helping exceptional university students prepare for and find clean energy jobs.
- Energy Central Jobs: Search for jobs in the electric power industry.
- IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES) Careers: Connecting power and energy engineering students with their future employers.
- ACEEE Jobs & Internships: Free listing of jobs and internships in energy efficiency.
- Spark Clean Energy: Internships, fellowships and job listings for students and professionals in energy.
- Energy Vortex Career Center: Job listings in energy management and energy engineering.
- Association of Energy Services Professionals Career Center: Jobs in the energy services industry.
- WRISE Career Center: Job site from Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy