Career Services and Alumni Connections
The Career Services at UW-Madison website is a great way to begin exploring your career options.
The following resources are also useful for those interested in a career in clean energy.
The Wisconsin Energy Institute (WEI) has collaborated with campus partners such as the Career Exploration Center and College of Engineering Advising to host workshops for students exploring career options in energy. Below are links to presentation slides and videos from recent workshops:
- Career Exploration Center (February 17, 2016) - Presentation Slides (PDF)
External Career Resources
- Clean Energy Jobs and Career Planning from the U.S. Department of Energy allows visitors to search for jobs, internships, and training resources as well as explore career pathways in clean energy. Of particular note are several clean energy career maps, including:
- Get into Energy provides information on different types of engineers and how their skills match with careers in the energy industry.
- LearnHowtoBecome.org has created A Guide to Green Careers to "help readers better understand exactly what lies ahead for job seekers in a renewable, sustainable and more efficient world."
- CareerOneStop's Competency Model Clearinghouse demonstrates the various competencies needed in occupations for Renewable Energy; Energy Generation, Transmission, and Distribution; and Advanced Commercial Buildings.
- Clean Energy Jobs Midwest provides an interactive, in-depth look at clean energy employment in 12 Midwestern states, including Wisconsin. A 2021 survey found that the region currently employs over 700,000 workers in sectors including renewable energy generation, clean transmission, energy efficiency, clean fuels, and advanced transportation.
- Handshake is UW-Madison’s primary recruitment and career event management tool. Login with your NetID, and you can search job postings by keyword (e.g. "energy") or filter by employer type (e.g. "Utilities and Renewable Energy," "Oil and Gas," "Research," etc.)
- Energy Jobs is an email-only jobs listing service sponsored by the UW-Madison Energy Analysis and Policy program.
- Nelson Institute Environmental Jobs Board: Listings for environmental jobs (targeting students and alumni from the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies)
- Dayaway Careers: Helping exceptional university students prepare for and find clean energy jobs.
- Energy Central Jobs: Search for jobs in the electric power industry.
- Clean Energy Jobs: Federal government jobs in the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Association of Energy Services Professionals Career Center: Jobs in the energy services industry.
- WRISE Career Center: Job site from Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy
- ACEEE Jobs & Internships: Free listing of jobs and internships in energy efficiency.
- Energyfolks: Job board from a not-for-profit network of networks dedicated to connecting energy students and professionals in their neighborhood and around the globe.
- Association of Energy Engineers Career Hub: Job listings in energy management and energy engineering (membership may be required).