LIMS Programmer Analyst
April 10, 2014
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* Minimum 3 years experience in software development environment using object-oriented programming languages such as Java, C++, C#, VB, etc.
* Experience in workflow automation and process control is required.
* Experience in database development is essential.
* Experience in Web Services development is desired.
* In-depth knowledge of computer systems validation and software development life cycle methodologies.
* Ability to apply logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions. Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form.
* Ability to work creatively within prescribed system constraints.
* Ability to manage multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously.
* Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
* Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
* Strong trouble-shooting and problem-solving ability.
* Shows initiative, is a self-starter, and has a positive learning attitude.
* Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
The following technical skills and experience would be a plus:
* StarLIMS configuration and customization
* LIMS development
* Instrument integration
* Experience in an academic or industrial laboratory
* System analysis experience
* Experience in web application development using HTML 5, Ruby-on-Rail, etc.
* Commercial reporting tools (Crystal Report, Business Objects, etc.)
* DBA & IT support experience
* Proficiency in MS Office, including Project and Visio
The Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC), housed at the University of Wisconsin-Madison with collaborators at Michigan State University along with other academic, private sector and national laboratories, is one of three Department of Energy Centers to conduct fundamental, genomics-based research on microbial and plant systems required to realize the national need for low-cost biofuels. The long-term goals of the GLBRC are to improve characteristics of biomass plants, procedures for processing plant biomass, biological or chemical processes to convert biomass into energy products, and economic and environmental sustainability of the biomass to biofuel pipeline. To achieve these goals, the GLBRC will combine biological, physical and computational approaches to resolve currently limiting factors in biofuel production. Imaging, high-throughput genomic, proteomic or metabolomic technologies, synthetic biology, and computational modeling will be vertically integrated into GLBRC research activities.
The LIMS Programmer Analyst will be responsible for implementing a commercial LIMS system to translate the physical workflow to an automated program. The successful candidate will work closely with the scientific and LIMS development team to develop the LIMS solutions to meet large-scale data storage and management needs. The candidate will also be expected to carry out a part of the system analysis duties in the first phase of the LIMS development and share database design and development responsibilities for the LIMS system. The well-qualified applicant will be familiar with the functions of a lab, understand scientific language, and have experience in workflow automation. The candidate will also be responsible for supporting development and production of the LIMS system, which includes configuration, administration, implementation, upgrades/patches, system documentation, user support, custom reports, bug fixes, enhancements, and training.
The LIMS Programmer Analyst will work with the LIMS development team to accomplish the following:
- Implement and customize the LIMS system according to the requirements and specifications.
- Focus on the scripting and coding tasks for LIMS customization and configuration as required.
- Participate in the development of web services and web applications as required.
- Assist the senior system analysts to create accurate and detailed system requirements documentation.
- Perform unit and integration testing before delivering the updated solution.
- Write automatic testing scripts to improve the testing efficiency.
- Assist to deliver and deploy packages as needed in a timely manner.
- Participate in system upgrading and validation activities.
- Document all new developments and changes made to the LIMS system.
- Create lab report templates according to users' requests and organization standards.
- Actively support the lab end-users to develop querying and reporting tools as requested.
- Develop and maintain the training materials/manuals and assist in training lab end-users.
- Monitor the system as required to ensure the operation and performance of the production server.
- Share supporting tasks with the team, including trouble-shooting, bug fixing, data repair, and resolution of other issues.
Job Application Deadline:
May 05, 2014